Thursday, August 9, 2007

How to Make Life Less Awkward

Get a miniature dachshund if you want to lead an awkward-free life. Not only are these long-bodied, stubby-legged canines adorable, they also make the best conversation pieces. The dachshund I have been pet-sitting this summer has made everyone from infants to the elderly smile. The only person she has yet to befriend is the mailman.

Here are some of the more memorable interactions I have experienced while walking Parley, the dog:
-Parley made a wailing toddler immediately start laughing once he saw Parley's charming self. Unfortunately, the toddler began to wail again as soon as I left.
-Two ladies ran out of a fancy restaurant to pet the dog. Actually, this encounter may have been a tad awkward because Parley tried to climb up one of the lady's dresses. However, Parley's cuteness trumped that detail.
-A 6 or 7-year-old girl commanded Parley to lick her toe since she had a boo-boo. According to her expert scientific opinion, a dog's saliva is the cure for a boo-boo. Her equally knowledgeable friend also had heard of this treatment. I guess this is what I will learn in medical school.
-Perhaps the sweetest moment occurred when an elderly woman looked at Parley and reminiscently stated how Parley brought back memories of her own dachshund she had years ago. This was a true dachshund connection.

What is my favorite dachshund moment? Perhaps this is just a Parley moment, but I love when she stands on something, e.g. a body pillow, and then tries vigorously to move it with her paws. Of course, she doesn't realize she is her own obstacle and continues this until I stop being amused and begin to feel bad for her. This action reminds me of the activity-based anorexia rats in my lab. They just keep running in their wheels forever...too bad that's the point of the experiment.

Normally, I don't trust hot dogs, but I make an exception for this type. However, I hear that Hebrew National isn't bad.

~Jenny

No comments: